Job title: System Operations Engineer
Customer: EUMETSAT (European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites)
Location of work: Darmstadt, Germany
Due date for application: 18th June 2019
Preferred start date: Flexible
Tasks & Responsibilities:
The Successful candidate shall provide services to the development and operation of the MSG Ground Segment and the EPS Overall Ground System (‘OGS’), as well as their evolution.
Main tasks include services in:
- System operations in a real-time operations environment;
- End-to-end operations monitoring;
- Communications systems operations;
- Security operations;
- Infrastructure operations and evolution;
- Business Continuity;
- Multi-mission operations, including mass storage and archiving;
- System Evolutions for existing and new programs:
- Manual and Automated system and satellite operations (including planning and scheduling).
- Provision of support to the routine operation of the LEO & GEO ground segments, as well as their evolution to include new programs and system operations.
- Definition and/or maintenance of the routine operations procedures pertaining to system operations and the interfaces of the key systems within the ground segment, in accordance with the established EUMETSAT Operations Department configuration management and quality assurance practices.
- Acquire and maintain a system-wide view of the EUMETSAT ground segments.
- Review any planned changes to the system configurations for LEO and GEO ground segments, and support the investigation of anomalies encountered through the routine system and ground segment operations.
- Provide services to the development and operations preparation for recurrent satellites in existing operational programs (e.g. Metop-C and MSG-4), and for future operational programs now in development (including Sentinel-3, MTG and EPS-SG).
- Interface with project teams on the implementation of system upgrades to support major operations projects, including System Mid-Term Evolution Plan, recurrent satellites, and any System hardware and operating system obsolescence upgrade.
The ideal candidate:
In addition to having a university degree (or equivalent) in a relevant technical discipline, the Key Person shall have the following mandatory attributes:
- experience of System Operations in a real-time spacecraft operations environment;
- experience defining and implementing the verification and validation of ground segment systems;
- experience defining, development, integration, acceptance testing and operation of mission data systems;
Experience of the following would be a distinct advantage:
- Earth Observation ground segments;
- project and technical management / coordination.
- experience of communications systems operations;
- experience of operations security;
- experience in business continuity techniques and associated system operations;
- experience in the operations preparation and routine operations of Geostationary (‘GEO’) and Low Earth Orbit (‘LEO’) satellite systems;
- experience of coordination of systems development and upgrades within a 24/7 operations environment;
- familiarity with ECSS and CCSDS standards related to space-to-ground interfaces and applicable to Satellite Monitoring & Control Systems: Packet Telemetry and Telecommand standards, PUS (Packet Utilization Standard), etc.;
- Windows & Linux operating systems;
While the official languages of EUMETSAT are English and French, the working language for the position is English and therefore the Key Person must be able to work effectively in this language.
Are you up to the challenge? Looking for a new opportunity to evolve your career? Send your
CV by the 18th June 2019 (or before) to: info_at_exostaff.de